Fresh and light, yet savory and satisfying, this dish is versatile and can be served hot or cold. It makes a great healthy side for your summer barbecue or a terrific dinner with mixed greens on the side.
It is also easy to substitute ingredients with this dish. For example, this time I used shallots instead of scallions. And any fresh herb will work in place of the celery and basil leaves.
Zucchini should be SMALL- they have more flavor and are more tender
FRESH from the garden Herbs are best, and can also be found at the Farmer's Market
5 small Zucchini
4 Scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
1 small Onion, chopped
2 Plum Tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp Celery Leaves (from inner stalks), chopped
4 tbsp Basil Leaves, chopped, plus extra for garnish
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice the zucchini in half crosswise. Cut each half again lengthwise, and slice each of the halves into 4 equal, ½ inch pieces. They should look like sticks.
- In a bowl, mix together the zucchini sticks with the white parts of the scallions, onion, tomatoes, celery leaves and basil.
- Mix in the olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Pour into a 3 quart baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with the sliced green tops of the scallions and the extra chopped basil.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings